Three times a year, Families First accepts applications from students seeking an internship or practicum at our agency. Please see below for information on how you can become a Families First intern.
Who is eligible for an internship at Families First?
We will accept applications from any undergraduate or graduate students who are seeking a practicum or internship that is related to their academic degree or fulfills their school requirements. We will only accept students as interns if they will receive academic credit for their internship at our agency.
Applicants must meet the following qualifications and conditions:
- For direct service internships, applicants are enrolled in a CACREP-accredited program.
- Applicants are supervised and monitored by faculty and field instructors on an ongoing basis during their internship.
- Applicants are required to fulfill a specific time commitment for their internship/practicum.
What internship opportunities does Families First offer?
We offer the following internships at our downtown Indianapolis office:
Direct service positions:
For these positions, you will be interacting directly with our clients in one of our following programs:
- Chemical Dependency
- Domestic Violence
- Family Counseling
- Home-Based Counseling
- Older and Disabled Adults
NOTE: For confidentiality reasons, our agency does not permit interns to conduct counseling and therapy with our clients on a one-to-one basis. We also do not permit interns to videotape counseling and therapy sessions with our clients.
When can I intern at Families First?
You can intern at Families First during the school year (fall/spring semester) and over the summer for a total of one or two semesters. All applicants are required to indicate on their application when they would like to intern and for how many semesters.
How do I apply for an internship at Families First?
The application process for interns will depend on the type of position you will be pursuing. Please make sure you follow the instructions outlined below when applying for our internship positions.
Direct service positions:
- Ask a faculty member (practicum coordinator, advisor, etc.) at your school to email both Brenda Springer (firstname.lastname@example.org), Pat Anderson (email@example.com) and Lori Clyne (firstname.lastname@example.org) to initiate the placement process. The faculty sponsor must also send Brenda and Lori an affiliation agreement, an internship placement contract, or similar document outlining the requirements of your internship or practicum. We cannot place you at our agency without this type of document.
- Once Brenda and Lori have determined that a placement is possible, complete the internship application (link on this page). Please do not send us your application before your faculty sponsor contacts us. Please do not submit an application before Brenda and Lori have notified you to fill out an application.
- Fill out paperwork so that we can process your background investigation. Background checks can take at least a week to process.
- Attend group orientation for interns.
Where can I find the internship application form?
For direct service internships, click here to download your application.
What are the deadlines for submitting my internship application?
We are accepting Fall internship applications at this time. The deadline for submitting Fall internship applications is , July 14, 2018 (Friday). We will not accept or consider applications after this deadline.
Please also note that we are seeking direct service interns for the following programs: Chemical Dependency, Home-based, Domestic Violence, and Family Counseling.
If you have general questions regarding Families First’s internship program, please contact Brenda Springer at email@example.com.